From the time that children arrive with us in our nursery class, they will start learning Spanish. This continues during their time in the primary phase and beyond. Students in Key Stage 2 will also start to learn French alongside Spanish.
Specialist teachers from the secondary phase teach MFL to our students alongside the class teachers every week. Please see the long term overviews section for information on the curriculum in each year group.
Aims of the MFL curriculum are for students to:
- foster an interest in language learning by introducing languages in a way that is enjoyable and accessible to all students
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
As well as MFL lessons, opportunities to learn French and Spanish are woven into the fabric of the day.